On behalf of the Office of Civic and Community Engagement, welcome to the University of La Verne! We are thrilled to have you join the Leo Family! We are excited to introduce you to your first academic experience of the year. On this day, you will engage in your FIRST ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE of the year! This day is dedicated to introducing you to the University's four core values of Civic & Community Engagement, Diversity & Inclusivity, Ethical Reasoning and Lifelong Learning. Community Engagement Day offers you the opportunity to manifest our core values and develop skills that will help you be career ready. From beautification projects to planting and harvesting food at a local community garden, you will be exposed to an array of experiences! This is what the LA VERNE EXPERIENCE is all about!
Deadline to register is Wednesday, September 4th 2019
Walk-ins welcomed, but we strongly recommend you register before Sat, September 7th to accurately account for meals, transportation and the free t-shirt.
After your registration, the Office of Civic & Community Engagement will assign you to a service site with your FLEX Faculty. ALL First-Year students will be grouped with their specific FLEX community, transfer students and law students will be assigned to a group as well. A FLEX Faculty or staff, as well as a student Orientation Week Leader (OWL), will lead you on this day. Transportation, meals and a free t-shirt will be provided!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do I bring?
1. Shoes: Bring comfortable, closed-toe shoes. NO sandals. Depending on your service site, you may be working indoors or outdoors.
2. Pants: Make sure to wear comfortable bottoms, preferably pants or long shorts.
3. Skin Protection: With it being summer, you'll want to bring a hat & a pair of sunglasses, but most importantly, please make sure to put on sunscreen.
4. Water Bottle: We will include a water bottle as part of your lunch, however, we recommend you bring a reusable water bottle for the day. Staying hydrated is key!
5. Phone/Camera: This is a day of service, community engagement, and fun; so feel free to capture the moment! You may bring your smart phone and/or camera.
6. Small/Light Bag: Bring something light, such as a drawstring backpack to carry your personal belongings.
*Please note you will be provided with a FREE t-shirt, lunch and transportation to and from each site.
7:30am - 8:00am - First-Year, Transfer & Law Students Check-In, pick up t-shirt & light breakfast at Johnson Family Plaza.
7:45am - 8:00am - FLEX/Team Leaders & OWLs greet and take student roll call at the University Quad
8:00am - 8:30am - Kick-off event & Leo Send-off at the University Quad
8:30am - Students depart to community service sites via bus/vans/walking
9:00am - Students arrive to community services sites at various locations
9:00am - 1:00pm - Engage in service with community partner site, build community
12:00pm - 12:30pm - Lunch & Survey
12:30pm - 1:00pm - Wrap up with community partner site
1:00pm - 1:30pm - Return to campus and return the materials provided
1:30pm - 2:00pm - Welcome back & cool-off with snow cones at Sneaky Park
In service, we build community!
Sponsored by The Office of Civic & Community Engagement