Are you an outgoing BIPOC student with a passion for public service? If so, a great internship opportunity may be waiting for you at Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District (THPRD)! THPRD is committed to welcoming and including employees of all backgrounds and identities. As part of our commitment to the community, and based on the historic underrepresentation of communities of color in parks and recreation, this internship program is intended for students who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC). We are proud to offer opportunities that explore a variety of career possibilities within the field of parks and recreation.
Fitness and Recreation Interns assist with developing and providing engaging activities, preparing materials, and supervising program participants for THPRD. Duties could include:
- Development of outreach materials
- Assistance with recreational programing
- Supervision of participants with an eye for safety
- Support with setup/cleanup of program activities
- Check-in/out procedures with program participants
Successful candidates will have a basic understanding of software and computer operations, written and verbal communication, basic math, and an interest in parks and recreation. Candidates will also have the ability to work with cross-district employees while contributing to a positive and inclusive experience for patrons.
Internships are typically available with these programs:
- Fitness Programs at multiple locations: Exercise Science Internships are available year-round and work with ages 2 years - adult. These positions provide support and instruction to fitness classes, sports camps, clinics, as well as fitness-oriented events. Applicants must have knowledge of or a willingness to learn fitness programming and community engagement techniques.
- Nature Kids Preschool Programs at Tualatin Hills Nature Park: Nature Kids Preschool Internships are available September - May annually and work with ages 3 - 6 years. These positions assist staff with the development and delivery of preschool curriculum and educational activities including: hikes, games, plant/animal identification, and crafts. Applicants must have experience or interest in youth outdoor or environmental education.
- Recreation Programs at Recreation Centers: Community Programs Internships are typically available year-round and work with ages 2 years - adult. Applicants must have knowledge of or a willingness to learn recreational programming and community engagement techniques.
Click here to learn more about this opportunity and to view the full job description.
THPRD is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, THPRD will ensure that people experiencing disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The human resources team is excited to offer support through the process. This may include technical questions on applying through governmentjobs.com, discussion on what’s being asked in supplemental questions, or general inquiries regarding the internship. Email email@example.com to connect with a member of the HR team.
Please follow THPRD on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn more about our award winning organization.